It's a Wonderful Life (Christmas Movie) | The Makeup Mixup


I'm excited to start the Makeup Mixup again. Although the Thanksgiving break was nice, I missed having my weekly prompt to guide my makeup creativity! This week is Christmas Movie week, shout out to Miranda and Jaelan for doing next week's Oh, Christmas Tree! instead! ;) Make sure you check out their looks, both are beautiful and perfect for the holiday season!

For my christmas movie makeup inspiration I chose Mary Hatch Bailey, wife to George Bailey in the movie It's a Wonderful Life. If you have never seen this film, you must make it a priority! The story follows George Bailey, who wishes to have never been born. He finds out what life is like if he never existed. This film really reminds you how special of a gift your life is!


Getting back to the makeup, I wanted to use Donna Reed's character Mary Hatch as inspiration. She has this beautiful old-timey cinema glow, sparkling eyes, the works! I wanted my makeup to reflect all the pieces of old-holiday glamour, without it being a sucker punch smokey eye. I began the look by evening out my skin tone using Glossier's Perfecting Skin Tint in Light. I lightly contoured with Lazarus, a powder shade from my new Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye palette. I then brushed Ludwin, another shade from the Kat Von D palette, over my cheeks as a blush. Still using the Shade & Light Eye palette, I dusted Samael across my eyelid, and brightened the inner corner with Lucius. I lined my eyes with Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in the shade Crave.

To give the appearance of cinema-lighting on my face, I used Liberatus, a white eyeshadow from the Kat Von D palette and placed it on the high-points of my face. To finish the look I combed through my brows with Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel, curled my lashes and applied my Miss Manga Rock Waterproof Mascara from L'Oréal. Mary Hatch's lips were a color in between natural flush and deep pink. Of course it's tough to tell exactly, as the original film is in black & white! I chose to use Urban Decay's Matte Revolution Lipstick in the shade 1993
Much Love,
-Stephanie Eva


Labels: