Worth the Hype? | Kat Von D Studded Lipstick in Coven


For the past six months (yes, half a year!) I've been on the hunt for Kat Von D's Studded Lipstick in the elusive shade, Coven. Of course I could order online, but what I really wanted was to buy it in-store. Just yesterday I found a Sephora with Coven in stock, the only one left! I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it, after all, this shade is highly sought after. Finally, six months into my initial search, I'm here to answer; is this product worth all the hype?


packaging
Fresh out of the box, this lipstick's black studded packaging looks deadly. I love it! The tube is made of a study plastic, appearing heavier than it actually is. When you twist the lipstick up you'll find a beautiful impression of Kat Von D's insignia on the side, almost too pretty to use! Unfortunately there seems to be nearly half the amount of product I was expecting. When the lipstick is twisted to the very end it looks nearly half the length of a standard lip product, all while being close to double in price.

formula
This formula is a real disappointment! I expected a creamy application, perfect pigmentation and a long lasting finish. Some would say that is a tall order but after all the hype (not to mention the company's claims), it's just what I expect! I'm sad to say that not only was the lipstick so dry that it tugged my lips during application, but the matte finish lasted not more than an hour before the corners of my mouth started to wear off. If I had been eating or drinking in that hour I wouldn't be so upset, but I was taking pictures for the blog and using my mouth for none of it, leaving no real explanation as to what happened.

overall
Not worth the hype! This lipstick left me totally unimpressed. The lilac color is gorgeous, but that's about as far as it goes. And for a retail value of $22USD, having just a pretty "face" doesn't cut it for me. It's a major bummer that I'll be returning this lipstick tomorrow, especially after waiting a whole half-year to take it home!
Much Love,
-Stephanie Eva

Labels: