Why I Want to Vlog & What's Holding Me Back | Real Talk #4


Hello World! Today I thought I would write about something that I have been struggling with for nearly a full year, daily-vlogging! For those of you who aren't entirely sure what it means to be a vlogger, let me explain.. There are a couple definitions of what it means to vlog; some say that having a YouTube channel where you upload lifestyle related videos is enough. Others believe that vlogging is a video-style, wherein you carry a small "vlogging" camera around with you throughout your day. I'm of the second opinion; vlogging to me is filming throughout your day and compiling all those bits into a neatly bundled "vlog" video!

Where I Learned About Vlogging
I first learned of vlog-style videos after watching Exit Through the Gift Shop, a Banksy documentary about Thierry Guetta. Thierry is a French immigrant living in Los Angeles, who by choice, carries his video camera with him EVERYWHERE. He documented his daily life because he didn't want to miss a moment. This led to making his filming habits into a documentary watching Thierry pursue his passion for street art. It was an intriguing journey and fun to watch, unlike many documentaries I have seen before. Shortly after watching this documentary I discovered the SacconeJoly's on YouTube. When I first tuned in they had just found out they were expecting their first child. Now, they have a second child who is nearly a year old. It is incredible and rewarding to watch and be a small part of their daily lives.

Why I Want to Vlog
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I have been wanting to start vlogging nearly all of 2014. I even experimented with a short travel vlog from Boston, USA to Amsterdam, NL (you can watch that below). I think vlogging is an outstanding way to document your day to day life. It is the repetitive part of our daily lives that most people take for granted. What may seem routine to you now, could make a beautiful memory in the future! I watched Thierry living his dreams with a camera in his hand, and now am watching the SacconeJoly family grow each day. I believe that vlogging is a rewarding process for both the vlogger and the viewer, creating and sharing memories through simple everyday living!



What is Holding Me Back
The number one reason I have resisted vlogging is the world around me and the people that fill it. With sharing personal information on the internet comes a certain danger and responsibility. People on the internet can not only be hurtful and cruel, but threatening too. I know of a few vloggers who have received death threats. NOT OK. In addition, Spencer is always looking out for my well-being and is concerned even now with the volume of information I share on the internet. He does not have any social media outside of a Facebook I tricked him into making a while back. I think his unfamiliarity with social media combined with his worry for my safety only creates a negative image of vlogging, and a limited understanding of why anyone would want to share their daily lives with others. He makes a valid point, which is why I don't write off his concern. 

My last concern, although not as profound, are my thoughts that my life is not "interesting" enough to vlog about. This is a bit of a petty fear, as I whole-heartedly believe that the vlogging experience is for ME and not the viewer. But sometimes I can't help but think that one day I'll look back on my vlog videos and think I'm a total bust. I've always been my own worst critic....

What Are Your Thoughts?!
What do you think about vlogging? Do you vlog, or have you tried to in the past? I'd be very interested to hear about your opinion and how you think it benefits/detracts from someone's life. Would you ever consider making vlogs?
Much Love,
-Stephanie Eva

Labels: