Foodness | Breakfast Skip, Arame Salad & General Tso Not-Chicken

Hello World and welcome to my first installation of "foodness"! This has all started thanks to my Wellness for Christmas series collaboration where I set a goal of eating solely macrobiotic Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. I've decided the only way to prove I stuck to it, would be to share my food each day. I do want to clarify one thing before moving on; I follow traditional guidelines for macrobiotics (you can find an overview of the dietary lifestyle, here) with an exception of allowing myself coffee. Coffee is not macrobiotic. But I'll never give up my coffee. 

LUNCH
As mentioned in the title of this post, I skipped breakfast! My lunch was an Arame seaweed salad. While my seaweed soaked in cool water, I sautéed green peppers, cauliflower, and onions in olive oil until they were soft. I then poured about two tablespoons of the water the Arame was soaking in  into the sauté pan, and then added some pre-steamed rice. After the water had boiled off I added the seaweed and some shoyu (like soy sauce) and continued to sauté for a few minutes longer. I then added some almonds for garnish, because I was in the mood for almonds... 
DINNER
The other night Spencer and I had talked about what dinners we would want for the upcoming evenings. He mentioned General Tso's Chicken, which is not macrobiotic! I knew I wanted to stick to my goal while still eating something totally delicious. I found a recipe online (found here) and substituted chicken with tofu. I coated extra firm tofu in flour, salt and pepper, and fried it with sesame oil in a pan. This was the first time I'd tried preparing tofu like this, and it's safe to say I'll be doing it again! I still made chicken, but that was all for Spencer. I was so incredibly pleased with how this turned out. Such a cute plating, and delicious too!

DESSERT
Dessert was pretty plain compared to the rest of my day. My original intention was to sauté chopped apples in coconut oil and coat with some coconut sugar and cinnamon, but after dinner was done, I sat on the couch and realized how much I didn't want to cook anymore today. Simplicity can be beautiful, too...
Much Love,
-Stephanie Eva





Labels: ,